Preschool Procedures and Policy Packet Outline
- The front door is locked for security reasons. Children are to be signed in and signed out. We I.D. anyone picking up your child including yourself.
- Our entire staff is trained in CPR, First Aid, food handlers permit and early childhood education. We have two teachers in each center at all times.
- For safety reasons, we do not allow weapons, toy weapons, small items kids can choke on, special toys from home that can get lost or broken, pets or any illegal substances.
- Please bring a backpack every day and send children in clothes that they can independently handle in the bathroom. Send kids in safe shoes, NO FLIP FLOPS, and wear shorts or tights under dresses or skirts.
- We require that all children have the age appropriate immunizations. Our school does not have a sick room, so we do not care for children who are ill, therefore it is necessary for them to be picked up within 1 hour of notification.
- We provide breakfast, a morning snack, an afternoon snack and an early evening snack. Because of very particular appetites of children, we no longer provide hot lunch. We ask that you pack a lunch of the foods that you child likes to eat and we will keep it in our refrigerator and provide as much milk as they want.
- When behavior is inappropriate, we use a positive discipline that includes making choices and, if needed, we implement a natural consequence.
- Tuition is based on a monthly average. We don’t charge you per week, we charge you per month. There are 3 months in the year that have 5 weeks in them, we don’t charge you extra for those weeks, but when we take holidays off, we don’t credit it back and the tuition evens out. Full tuition is required to retain your spot during vacations, etc.
- KIDS Etc. is a teaching center. Our curriculum is designed to develop life skills, social development and self-esteem through classes in phonics, math, science, social studies, creative art, music, P.E. and free play. Afternoon classes include dramatic play, P.E., manipulatives and instructional art. We also practice “Mindful Kids”. These are daily activities that teach young children kindness, focus and calm. They build empathy, positive self-talk and how to regulate and feel their emotions. During summers and days out of public school, we do field trips for the older kids and bring in lots of special visitors for the preschool age children.
- We also provide transportation for school-age kids to the following schools:
Willow Canyon Elementary – 9650 S. 1700 E.
Peruvian Elementary – 1545 E. 8425 S.
Silver Mesa Elementary – 8920 S. 1700 E.
Quail Hollow Elementary – 2625 Newcastle Dr.
Curriculum - included in your tuition
Our school has a three year curriculum designed to meet the needs of children 1 year, 2 years and 3 years from kindergarten. This program allows the children to progress at their own rate utilizing phonics, writing skills, recognition and identification, and comprehension activities on developmentally appropriate levels.
This is also a three year curriculum that gives each child a good foundation in numbers, counting, sorting, classifying and ordinals. This program provides thought process and problem solving skills necessary for future math experiences.
Children are taught listening skills while they are introduced to some of the best children’s literature available. Open discussions develops comprehension skills, critical thinking and opens their minds to creativity and imagination.
Individual creative expression is encouraged through a number of activities from painting to sculpturing. The only limit is our imagination!
With the objective of understanding people wherever they may live, our studies branch out into the community, state, country and world, including geography, customs and history. Science will emphasize the exploration of the natural environment through clear and logical thinking and health will teach the essentials of safety, healthy living, and the human body.
The music program will help to develop the child’s personal creativity through activities that include singing, dancing, rhythm and musical instruments. The P.E. program combines fun with muscular development and coordination, expanding to include athletics, aerobics and various games where attitudes and sportsmanship are developed. Dramatic play includes skits, plays, operettas, pantomimes and roll playing which allow self expression in a variety of ways.
The objective is that children will learn skills to self-regulated and re-center. It helps them take a quick “brain break” to calm down and focus. It helps decrease stress, reduce anxiety, integrate emotions and calms the body.
Social skills are learned and developed through supervised playtime with emphasis on building a strong self-image. Children with healthy self-concepts tend to be self-reliant, curious, self-controlled, contented, positive about their chances of success, able to grow from failure experiences, and achieve well in school. Our goal is to help with the development of life skills and the growth of personal self-esteem through positive reinforcement, group participation and individual attention.
Educational programs and theme based videos are used at specific learning times. Otherwise, the TV is on during gathering times, 11:30-12:00 (while the staff gets lunches out), and 5:00-5:30 p.m. Only Public Television stations with educating programs are allowed and only G-rated videos that have already been previewed by our school management team are shown. During television time, other choices are made available to the students such as books, coloring, puzzles, head phones, etc. Friday is movie day on our big movie screen at 4:00.
Our Enrichment program or after school program is designed to be relaxing & social.
We have an amazing arts and crafts area. We have a shelf full of games to play with each other. We have a Lego station to build & create. We have a relaxing area too; so kids can read, relax and be still. We do not offer tutoring or help with homework. After a long day of school & learning – it’s time to play with friends, relax and enjoy.
Time / Classes
- 6:30 – 8:30 Breakfast
- 6:30 – 9:00 Independent Activities
- 9:00 – 9:45 Preschool
Phonics and Math – (9 month academic program)
Monday – Introduction
Tuesday – Writing
Wednesday – Application
Thursday – Diagnostic
Friday – Craft
- 9:45 – 10:00 Snack and Storytime and daily mindfullness
- 10:00 – 10:45 Creative Art | Music | Science & Social Studies
- 10:45 – 11:30 Free play outside (weather permitting)
- 11:30 – 12:00 TV time while staff gets lunch ready
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch Club
- 12:30 – 2:30 Quiet Time/Nap Time
- 2:30 – 3:00 Snack and Storytime / Personal Playtime
- 3:00 – 3:30 Free Play outside (weather permitting)
- 3:30 – 5:00 Creative Art, Manipulatives, Music, Drama, Games, curriculum review
- 5:00 – 5:30 TV time – snack
- 5:30 – 6:00 Free play inside